Friday, June 21, 2013

Misplaced Faith

Misplaced Faith
Read: 1 Samuel 17:32-50
David replied to the Philistine, “You come to me with sword, spear, and javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of Heaven’s Armies – the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.  Today the Lord will conquer you, and I will kill you, and cut off your head…” (1 Samuel 17:45-46a NLT)
          When you look at great Bible characters such as Abraham, Noah, Moses, David, the prophets, Peter and Paul, just to name a few, you see people whose faith is solidly placed in the God who commands Heaven’s Armies.
          On the other hand, there are numerous accounts of misplaced faith in the word of God:
·        Cain had a misplaced faith and slew his brother Abel because his offering was rejected by God.  The Lord said to him, “Why are you so angry?  Why do you look so dejected?  You will be accepted if you do what is right.  But if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out!  Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you.  But you must subdue it and be its master.”  (Genesis 4:6-7 NLT)
·        Achan had a misplaced faith and stole articles of clothing, silver and gold from Jericho in disobedience to God.  Joshua said to Achan, “Why have you brought trouble on us?  The Lord will now bring trouble on you.”(Joshua 7:24 NLT)  Achan and his family were stoned in the Valley of Anchor (Trouble). 
·        King Saul had a misplaced faith.  He was so insecure that he trusted in his army and his armor rather than the God who at one time had ordained his rule.  He endeavored to thrust his armor on David who volunteered to fight Goliath, but David wisely refused.
·        Goliath had a misplaced faith trusting in his pagan gods and his religion.  His cursing and mocking of the army of Israel was soon silenced by a single stone from the sling of a shepherd boy named David.
       
        Every time I read this story it convicts me in my daily life.  The question arises, “Am I more like Goliath than David?  Is my faith misplaced at times?  Sure, I ask the blessing at meals, and say Lord willing this or that will happen, but do I really trust God when the tough times come?  How do I react when I walk onto the field of battle and a difficult relationship occurs, or an ongoing temptation arises?  Do I resort to my own strength, my own skills, my own weapons of war?  Do I hedge my bets by trusting in my own strength (a misplaced faith) or do I exercise faith like that of David?

        David killed the giant because God was with him, and as a result of his rightly placed faith in Jehovah. 

Thought for the Day:  God honors the faith of those who trust completely in him.

Prayer: Dear Lord, give me the kind of faith that the shepherd boy David had.  

          

No comments:

Post a Comment