Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Carried on Eagle's Wings


Scripture Reading: Exodus 19:1-6
“You have seen what I did to the Egyptians. You know how I brought you to myself and carried you on eagle’s wings.” (Exodus 19:4 NLT)
People worldwide are seeking assurance and security in the marketplace, at home, at work, and even in the church. Businesses are downsizing or closing up shop, friends and families are divided, and churches are ill-equipped or unwilling to meet their needs. People everywhere are crying out for help, but none is to be found.
     Moses faced challenges of epic proportions in his leadership role as Israel’s deliverer. The people were despondent and teetered on the brink of mutiny. I’m sure Moses thought to himself on more than one occasion “how can I hold this multitude together. They are like a flock of frightened sheep scattering in all directions.” Lack of security will do that to a person. It is easy to lose ones sense of direction. What was Moses to do?
     At that precise moment, God stepped in and spoke to Moses and the people. He reminded them (we’re so prone to forget) that it was by His almighty power that they were delivered from slavery in Egypt. I love the phrase where God said, “I brought you to myself and carried you on eagles’ wings.” Isn’t that great?
     If you are a believer, it is because God sought you out and chose you to be one of his children. Paul clearly tells us in Romans 3:11-12, “No one is seeking God, all have gone wrong. No one does good, not even one.” (NLT) Those words certainly applied to Israel.
     I remember a time when I was in need of God’s eagle wings. I was fishing high in the mountains of Colorado miles away from any medical facility. I felt tightness in the upper chest area. I was scared and frightened. No one was there to help me. I thought for sure that I was going to have a heart attack and die. Due to the altitude I could only take a couple steps before stopping to catch my breath. I called out to God for help. Slowly, I made my way back to the car where my wife was waiting for me. We ended our vacation and drove back to Missouri. Three days after arriving home I was in the operating room of Boone Hospital in Columbia, Missouri having quadruple bypass surgery. I definitely believe that I was carried home on God’s eagle wings.
     It is not by accident that God chose the eagle as his symbol of deliverance, and it is not surprising that seventeen countries have chosen the eagle as their coat of arms symbol. I doubt if I would be here today, if it were not for the protection of God’s eagle’s wings.

Prayer: Dear Lord, I can’t thank and praise you enough for providing eagle’s wings for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment