Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Rainbows in Your Life


Scripture Reading: Genesis 7:1-17
I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my permanent promise to you and all the earth. When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on the earth. (Gen. 9:13,16 NLT)
Children delight in rainbows. Nothing delights a child, and parents, more than to see the beautiful colors of a rainbow in the clouds. My children always loved to take their crayons and water colors and paint rainbows. To see a double rainbow is a special treat.
     One summer as we approached the city of Frisco, Colorado on our way home from vacation in the Rockies, the boys in the back seat shouted, “Dad, pull over and look at that beautiful rainbow.” Sure enough, there was the arch of a colorful rainbow. We could see both ends of the arch, and I recalled the words of my mother who always said, “Bob, there’s a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.” We looked on with amazement as one end of the arch settled right on top of the Pizza Hut restaurant. To my boys the “pot of gold” was a pepperoni and cheese pizza. Let’s go get that pot of gold the boys cried. To my way of thinking this was a providential happenchance, but in the boys’ minds this was definitely a God thing.
     Sometimes we see God’s providential love and care expressed in other ways. On one occasion while attending Bible College in St. Louis our family food pantry consisted of one can of baby lima beans. The G.I. bill money had not arrived and I didn’t as yet have a job. Was God testing our faith? We took the matter to the Lord in prayer and that afternoon I ventured over to the school office and found an envelope in my mail box with a five dollar bill. We rejoiced in answered prayer.
     On another occasion I made a stupid subtraction mistake in my checkbook, but found that God had foreseen the problem and put a $500 dollar check in my account from the IRS. All those who trust in the Lord, and seek to honor his name will find that he providentially cares for their every need.
     Recently, we were preparing for a mission trip to Cameroon, WA and God supplied the needed financial funds through various means. One person walked up to me after church and handed me three one hundred dollar bills. Another person gave a donation of $500 for a baby sweater set that my wife had knitted. 
What rainbows are taking place in your life?  Where do you witness God’s faithfulness to you? Look for it in the small needs met just at the right time. God’s timing is always perfect.
Prayer: Dear Lord, you are so faithful to us. We lift our voices in praise to your holy name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment