Thursday, July 16, 2015

Living in His Presence

Living His Presence
“Then I bowed my head and worshipped the Lord. I praised the God of my master, Abraham, because he had led me along the right path to find a wife from the family of my master’s relatives.” (Genesis 24:48)
Great men of faith knew what it meant to live each day in the presence of the Lord. Men such as Hudson Taylor, George Mueller, David Brainerd, Jonathan Edwards, John Wesley, D. L. Moody, George Whitefield, and Billy Graham—the list is endless, spent countless hours before the throne of grace in prayer and meditation.
   While secular men and women use such words and phrases like “Get busy!” “Hurry up!” “Make it happen!” “Get up to speed!” people of faith operate on a different plane. From their lips you hear words like “Ask,” “Seek,” “Knock,” “Wait,” “Trust,” “Lead me and guide me.”
   A great example of a lifestyle that utilized words of faith was Eliezer, the servant of Abraham. He took an oath to “seek” a wife for Isaac, Abraham’s son, among the relatives living in northwestern Mesopotamia. It was a long and arduous journey over dangerous terrain. At last, Eliezer arrived at a well and bowed his head and prayed, “O Lord, God of my master, give me success and show kindness to my master, Abraham. Help me to accomplish the purpose of my journey.” (Gen. 24:12)
   He uttered a specific prayer and God answered in a specific manner. No sooner had he finished praying when a young maiden came to draw water. Eliezer had prayed that the one who offered him a drink and also gave water to his camels would be the one God had chosen. Sure enough that is exactly what happened. Eliezer offered a prayer of thanksgiving by saying, “The Lord has been so kind and faithful to Abraham, for he had led me straight to my master’s relatives.” (Gen. 24:27b)
   As you go about your daily activities slow down and live in the presence of the Lord by using words of faith like that of Eliezer and other great men of faith.

Prayer: Dear Lord, may I put into practice the prayer of faith, “ask and you shall receive that your joy may be full.”

No comments:

Post a Comment