Thursday, August 25, 2016

Passing on Blessings

Passing on Blessings
Scripture Reading: Deuteronomy 4:9-14
But watch out! Be careful never to forget what you yourself have seen. Do not let these memories escape from your mind as long as you live! And be sure to pass them on to your children and grandchildren. (Dt. 4:9 NLT)
A few years ago I was challenged by a friend to pass on the blessings bestowed on my life by God’s grace to others. The verse quoted above affirmed that that was what God wanted me to do. After much prayer, I decided this was sound advice and picked up the pen. I began by sending notes of encouragement to friends at church. After awhile God motivated me to write a monthly letter to each of my children. I called them Abraham’s Musings. Each month for a period of a year I shared with them what God was doing in my life, and passed on his blessings to them.
     Inspired by the response to this venture, I spent considerable time writing my autobiography. I entitled the book God’s Unfolding Plan. In it I explained how I came to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, and the various twists and turns I experienced in finding the meaning to life. God blessed this effort, and not only did I receive healing for past unresolved family issues, especially with my father, but others who read the story testified to similar results.
     This writing experience was followed by writing life experience stories which were printed in such publications as Country Magazine, Good Old Days, Looking Back, and Reminisce Extra. Writing has had a therapeutic value in my life, and I hope in the lives of those who read the stories.
     Like Martin Luther King, I had a dream! My dream was to share the word of God with individuals in an effort to draw them closer to Christ. In order to fulfill this dream, I began to write Bible based devotions that tied in with personal experiences.. I endeavored to share with others the challenges, obstacles, twists and turns, and the portions of Scripture that God used to help me overcome. My first devotional book entitled A-Z Daily Devotional Journal was published in 2010 and a second volume entitled Let Jesus Start Your Day will come off the press in a few weeks. 
     I find that recalling experiences from the past (sixty years) and sharing them with others keeps me closer to the Lord. As I read and study God’s word, memories flood my mind as to how God helped me overcome the obstacles and struggles of life. Hopefully I can translate those victories into words that will help someone else who may be struggling with their faith and walk.
     You too can pass on God’s blessings to others. Give it a try.

Prayer: Dear Lord, continue to pour out your blessings, and help us share them with others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment