Thursday, May 11, 2017

Flawless Words

Flawless Words
“And the words of the Lord are flawless, like silver purified in a crucible, like gold refined seven times.” (Psalm 12:6 NIV)
How reliable are the promises of your neighbors, co-workers, family members or friends? 
   The Scripture is clear when it says, Help, Lord, for no one is faithful anymore; those who are loyal have vanished from the human race. Everyone lies to their neighbor; they flatter with their lips but harbor deception in their hearts.” (Psalm 12:1-2)
   When was the last time a neighbor or a co-worker borrowed something from you with the promise that they’d return it as soon as they were through with it, but it never returned?
   The Psalmist David must have had such an experience for he said, “The wicked borrow and never repay, but the godly are generous givers.” (Psalm 37:21)
   I have never forgotten a time many years ago when I promised to take my grandson fishing and then reneged on the promise. Not only was my grandson very upset with me, but his mother reminded me of the broken promise. I immediately sought to limit the damage done to his trust by orchestrating an outing to make up for my mistake. It’s not the first time the Lord has used a child to humble me and teach me a valuable lesson.
   People are quick to give their word, but sometimes we can’t rely on what they tell us. It’s very possible that David was having trouble with this issue; otherwise, why did he pen these thoughts in Psalm 12. We don’t know the specific words or circumstances that prompted his remarks, but he must have felt surrounded by untrustworthy people. His lament was: “everyone lies” (v. 2).
   Everyone, that is, except God. His words are “pure and flawless,” like silver that has been through a refiner’s fire seven times (v. 6). We can believe God. His promises stand. He cannot lie.

Prayer: Dear Lord, what a joy to know that your words are forever true and trustworthy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment