Monday, September 19, 2011

Uplifted Hands

Then Solomon stood with his hands lifted toward heaven before the altar of the Lord in front of the entire community of Israel.  (1 Kings 8:22 NLT)


   For many years I felt inhibited and uptight when I saw people with uplifted hands during worship and praise time.  I confess that more than once i acted judgmentally toward the participants.  But my attitude slowly changed as the Holy Spirit broke through my legalistic tendencies and showed me God's grace.

   As I continued to study God's word, I came to the realization that uplifted hands during times of dedication, worship, and praise was a common practice in the lives of Old Testament saints.

   King David understood that to worship God is to seek an intimate encounter with Him.  What better way to show that intimacy than to lift his hands heavenward as if reaching out for God.  David said, I will honor you as long as I live lifting up my hands to you in prayer. (Psalm 63:4 NLT)


   Lifting our hands signifies complete surrender -- recognizing God's sovereignty over us.  We also reach out with uplifted hands to implore another person to help, to make supplication, and to offer a blessing to God.

   Are you willing to extend your hand to God and say, "You're all I need today."


Thought for the Day: Uplifted hands express our inner being to God.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment