Friday, June 22, 2012

Prayer is Hard Work

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  (Philippians 4:6)


   Recently I spent a lot of time pulling weeds, digging up bulbs, turning over the soil in preparation for planting my flower bed.  At the age of eighty, I consider that hard work, but I know a task that is much harder -- PRAYER.

   Knock down, drag out prayer is strenuous.  I'm not referring to prayers like God bless my friends and family, or God bless my church, or God bless the missionaries, or even God bless America.  No, I'm talking about getting down on our knees in the dirt and praying for specific needs.  That's really hard work.

   Maybe you don't consider prayer hard work, but I do.  There are so many distractions and so much busyness that I find it hard to take enough time for prayer.  I have the tendency to rush in and rush out of God's presence.  Even when the request is urgent, I find it difficult to persevere.

   If you have the same problem as I do, ask God to help you set a specific time and place to meet daily with him.  The Lord knows -- this old world needs it and so do all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment