Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Be Prepared

Be Prepared
Scripture Reading: Matthew 25:1-13
So stay awake and be prepared, because you do not know the day or hour of my return. (Matthew 25:13 NLT)
At the young age of twelve, I joined the Boy Scout Troop 28 in Montgomery, Pa. My first duty was to learn the scout law that says, “A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.” My next step as a tenderfoot was to learn the scout oath or promise: “On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.” The thing that stuck with me through all the years of my life was the Scout motto: “Be prepared.” This motto has a twofold meaning: (1) be prepared in mind by disciplining yourself to be obedient to every order and (2) be prepared in body by making yourself strong and active. This same philosophy was drilled into me while serving in the military.
     The same principles can be carried over into our daily walk as Christians. Believers need to be prepared and expect opposition to the gospel of Christ. Satan has his share of deceitful workers, false teachers and prophets that spread lies about the person and work of Jesus Christ. The foundation of Scripture is being attacked daily by atheistic groups, agnostics, evolutionists, main line media, and university professors of all shapes and sizes. The exponents of the social gospel deny the biblical truths of the virgin birth and infallibility of the word of God, and have replaced it with their own brand of “feel good” philosophy. It is important for believers to maintain a strong stand for the truth.
     I am reminded of David’s flight through the wilderness with King Saul hot on his trail to find and execute him. He had to be prepared physically and mentally to face the ever present dangers. He knew that if King Saul captured him it meant sure death. He had at his right hand six hundred loyal dedicated men who were willing to lay down their lives for their future king.
     Believers can take courage in the fact that Jesus Christ gave his life as a ransom for our redemption. When opposition comes we can take refuge in him knowing he will never leave us or forsake us.
     Preparing ourselves to be physically strong and mentally alert is profitable, but as Paul tells young Timothy, “Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come.” (1 Tim. 4:8 NLT)

Prayer: Dear Lord, help us a believers to be properly prepared for the life you expect us to live.  

No comments:

Post a Comment