Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Boyhood Memories

Boyhood Memories
Scripture Reading: Psalm 145:1-20
They shall eagerly utter the memory of your abundant goodness and will shout joyfully of your righteousness. (Ps. 145:7 NASB)
When I think of my boyhood days, pictures of skiing down hills on barrel staves, sled riding on the hilly streets in town, hay rides and wiener roasts, bicycling, roller skates, and homemade scooters fill my mind. As a boy, I played marbles, rolled hoops and tires down the alleys, and built tree houses. I made sling shots and pea shooters (both of which got me into trouble at times). There were always caves to explore in the Muncy hills and arrowheads to find. Life was not dull. There were so many exciting things to learn, things to see, and places to explore. Boyhood is a time for adventure.
     As I think of boyhood, I wonder what Jesus did when he was a boy growing up in the small village of Nazareth. Did he play with wood blocks? (His father was a carpenter.) Did he write or draw pictures in the sand? (He did at the age of 32 when the woman caught in adultery was thrown at his feet by her accusers). Did he walk around the village and play with the other children his age? (He walked a lot with his disciples).
     I have to think that Jesus’ boyhood wasn’t too much different than my own. I had chores to do and he had to sweep up the shavings in his father’s carpenter shop. On numerous occasions I had to wash the dishes and dry them with a towel, and Jesus took a towel and washed the feet of his disciples. I had to attend school to learn how to read and write, and as a boy Jesus sat in the Synagogue talking to the teachers. I got into trouble at times and the Bible says, “Jesus was tempted in all points the same as I am, yet without sin (Hebrews 2:18). He is perfect in his divinity and totally human as far as his humanity is concerned. He possessed a human nature, but not a sinful nature. I don’t believe he did anything as a boy that brought any taint upon his relationship with his Heavenly Father. That’s why I want to be more like Jesus.
     All of us have childhood memories. The ones that were enjoyable we hang on to and share with our friends and the ones that were painful should be turned over to the Lord. I believe that’s what Joseph did because he was able to say to his brothers, “As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about the present result, to preserve many people alive.” (Gen. 50:20 NASB)
     Are you holding on to memories that are painful? Take your painful memories and negative attitudes and turn them over to the Lord. He has offered to carry them for you. (1 Peter 5:7)

Prayer: Dear Lord, you have promises to carry my burdens so today I am giving them to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment