Thursday, January 22, 2015

Making a Point

Making a Point
Scripture Reading: Exodus 34:1-35
He passed in front of Moses and said, “I am the Lord, I am the Lord, the merciful and gracious God. I am slow to anger and rich in unfailing love and faithfulness.” (Ex 34:6 NLT)
What do you do when you want to make a point? Raise your voice? Stomp your feet? Point or shake your finger? Wave a stick? Flap your arms? Shout? People use a variety of methods to make sure they have your undivided attention.
     What does God do when he wants to make a point? He repeats himself, “I am the Lord, I am the Lord.” I have no doubt that God got Moses’ attention. How do I know this? Because verse 8 says, “Moses immediately fell to the ground and worshipped.” You don’t fall down in worship without focusing your entire being upon God.
     When God spoke to Moses he revealed several of his attributes, namely: mercy, grace, longsuffering, unfailing love, and faithfulness. How do we grow in our understanding of God? The same way Moses did—by listening to what God reveals to us about his character in the Scriptures. Each time you read the Bible make sure your listening ears are turned on.
     I definitely remember how my father and mother got my attention. My father was not one to repeat himself like God did. Oh no! He gave instructions or commands once and I was expected to listen and obey. It didn’t take me long to learn that my father was short on patience and long-suffering was not one of his outstanding character traits. My mother on-the-other hand would call out my name, Robert, come here or do this or that. Whenever I heard the name Robert being shouted, I knew that trouble was coming.
     One time I was sitting on the steps playing with my pea shooter. A man selling fish came around the corner in his truck, and I accidentally hit him in the face with a pea from my shooter. I was so scared that I ran and climbed under the front porch to hide. Outraged he proceeded to read the riot act to my mother. After he left, I heard my mother’s loud voice shout, Robert. I knew from that sound that punishment was coming.
     Turning to the New Testament we find that Jesus used the same principle when making a point. Many times he would say, “Truly, truly or verily, verily I say unto you.” When you see those words stop and pay attention to what follows. He is about to reveal some special truth about himself.
     Make sure when “making a point” to do so with humility and grace.

Prayer: Dear Lord, you have a unique way of making a point. Every time you do, I learn something new about your character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment