Friday, January 31, 2014

Dad Can Fix It

Dad Can Fix It
Scripture Reading: Luke 18:35-43
Then Jesus asked the man, “What do you want me to do?” “Lord,” he pleaded, “I want to see!” And Jesus said, “All right you can see! Your faith has healed you.” Instantly the man could see, and he followed Jesus, praising God. And all who saw it praised God, too.” (Lk 18:41-42 NLT)
When I was young I loved to make things: slingshots, pea shooters, bows and arrows, and scooters. One day, my younger brother, Sterling, was playing with my scooter. I found him sitting on the sidewalk with tears running down his cheeks. “What the matter?” I asked. “I broke your scooter,” he replied. I could see that he was scared because I had warned him not to mess with it. After he stopped crying I said, “Don’t worry, Dad can fix it!” I wasn’t worried because I knew that my father could fix anything.
     The same statement could be made about our heavenly Father. God’s son, Jesus Christ was a great fixer upper. He fixed a woman who had a threatening issue of blood disease. One touch of his garment and she was healed. He fixed the loaves and fishes through prayer and over five thousand people ate until they were filled. He fixed his friend Lazarus when he raised him from the dead.
     I remember the first time that I took my grandson fishing. He didn’t know how to bait the hook or cast the line into the water. I gave him a few lessons and after a little practice he managed to make a pretty good cast. I walked off a few yards to sit down and watch. It wasn’t long before I heard his pleading little voice saying, “Grandpa, my line is all tangled up, can you fix it?” Needless to say, I spent a lot of time untangling lines that day.
     Our heavenly father is an expert at fixing the messes that we make of our lives. There is nothing that is impossible for God. When we believe in God and trust him to fix it, he will not let us down. Jesus is our supernatural fixer-upper. He voluntarily went to the cross and fixed our sin problem by giving his life for us. When we occasionally sin, we can go to the Lord in prayer and confession and say to Him, “Father, I sinned, can you fix it?”
     Regardless of where our troubles come in this life, whether from a broken relationship, a failed assignment, or a discouraging report from a doctor, I know beyond a shadow of doubt that our Father in heaven can fix it.
     After all, he’s in the “fix it business”.

Prayer: Dear Lord, you are the one that is able to fix all my problems. Help me to remember to take them to you by faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment