Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Hang Unto the Rock

Hang Unto the Rock
Scripture Reading: 1 Samuel 2:1-11
“No one is holy like the LORD! There is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God.”    (1 Sam. 2:2 NLT)
Have you ever wondered what went through the minds of Hannah, Rachel, and Sarah who were childless?  When they passed by, other women turned away from them and whispered behind their backs, “They are childless.”  They were looked down upon, scorned, shunned, ignored, despised, and ostracized from the group. In those days, a barren women felt a sense of shame that something was wrong about themselves. Let’s take a brief look at these three women.
First, Hannah was tormented, mocked and ridiculed. These were just a few of the unkind, sarcastic remarks that Hannah had to endure from the lips of her husband’s other wife, Peninnah. Peninnah felt no sympathy, and gave no slack in her persistent harassment of Hannah. They were both aware that going childless in Israel meant a loss of respect and value.
Second, Rachel felt the same shame and grief when she failed to give children to her husband, Jacob. Leah, Jacob’s other wife, felt unloved and took full advantage of every opportunity to belittle Rachel in front of her husband. When Rachel saw that she wasn’t having any children she became jealous of her sister and complained to Jacob, “Give me children or I’ll die.” Jacob flew into a rage, “Am I God?” he asked. “He is the only one able to give you children! (Gen. 30:1-2 NLT).
Third, Sarah, Abram’s wife, was barren and not able to have children. She was so full of shame and regret that she took her servant, an Egyptian woman named Hagar, and gave her to Abram so she could bear his children. She said to Abram, “The Lord has kept me from having any children. Go, sleep with my servant. Perhaps I can have children through her.” (Gen. 16:2 NLT)
     As a child, I knew what it meant to be shunned, made fun of, harassed by bigger kids, and left out of games and activities. I was always the last one to be chosen for the baseball team. I was bullied by the neighborhood kids because I was small. This left me with an inferiority complex, and fear of other kids. If only I had known that God was right close by waiting for me to call upon him for help and protection, those early years would have been different.
     How thankful I am that God never quits in his pursuit of sinners! I accepted Christ as my Savior at the age of twenty-three while serving in the U.S. Navy on a base at Mare Island Naval Shipyard in Vallejo, Ca. You too can “Hang Unto the Rock” by putting your faith and trust in Jesus Christ. He is waiting for you to call upon Him.

Prayer: Dear Lord, as long as I live, I am clinging to the Rock of my salvation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment