Thursday, July 3, 2014

Dead but Yet Living


Scripture Reading: 2 Corinthians 5:1-21
Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord—for we walk by faith, not by sight. (2 Cor. 5:6-7)
As I sit looking out the window, the morning sun casts its rays through the naked trees. It seemed like yesterday that the trees were dressed in green, but now they stand alone and bare. Their leaves have died and fallen to the ground. Soon they will decay and turn to powder. Never again will they know life. Never again will they flutter in the breeze or provide shade. Life for them is over forever. Eventually the trees themselves will follow the same pattern.
     The animal kingdom faces the same destiny. The only species in the animal kingdom that has the capacity for life after death is mankind. God placed in man a living soul that is everlasting. Along with the living soul, God created in mankind a free will enabling him to make choices. Each person is capable of choosing to spend eternity with his maker or join others in a place of eternal damnation.
     Within the past week two of my friends have died and left this earth. Their bodies have been committed to the grave, but their souls will live on in the afterlife. The Bible clearly states, “Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God” (John 1:12 NIV). Joyfully, both of my friends had placed their faith in Jesus Christ and are enjoying the pleasures of heaven’s glory today.
     I vividly remember the time when I was faced with the decision to either accept or reject the claims of Christ on my life. The decision was mine. I could either confess my sinfulness and trust in Christ as my Savior, or continue to follow my own path. I thank God that I decided to trust Christ and follow him.
     It is a comfort to know that while my two friends are dead, yet they are living because their souls are with Jesus Christ in heaven. At a future resurrection, body and soul will be re-united and we will fellowship with our Savior for all eternity.
     Where will you spend eternity? Will it be in heaven with Jesus, or in eternal darkness? The choice is yours to make. Each individual must come to the place of belief in Christ as Savior. God has provided provision for salvation and it’s up to you and me to accept his gift. (Eph. 2:8,9)
Prayer: Dear Lord, help all who read this devotion to put their trust in you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment