Thursday, July 10, 2014

Love Never Fails

Scripture Reading: John 15:1-17
I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. (John 15:9 NLT)
How many times in the past sixty-two years has my wife or kids asked raised the question, “Do you love me?” It may not have been said in so many words, but their demeanor spoke volumes. A scramble on the floor to get dad’s attention is a means of asking, “Do you love me?” A wife who is sullen and unresponsive may be thinking, “Does he really love me?”
     I remember a time when I was away on business for several days. I came home tired and distraught. Things had not gone well, and my patience was exhausted. The boys were arguing and squabbling. I was about to send them to their rooms when I caught myself thinking, “Are they looking for a little attention and love from me?”
     Have you ever questioned God’s love for you? Maye you have lost a loved one, a close friend, a wife or husband, and your heart cries out, “God, where is your love?” or “Where were you when I needed you?” In the sadness of the moment, you forgot all the times when He showed his love for you, comforted you, protected you, and wrapped his arms around you.
     We all ask those questions from time to time. Be assured that God is not taken by surprise when those types of feelings emerge. He is used to the “why” questions. Job asked them over and over for thirty long chapters, and God never answered him, not even once. Then in chapters 38 to 41 God challenges Job. Job is forced to “put his hand over his mouth in silence.” What is remarkable to me is that God loves me no matter what I do or what I say. I believe what the Apostle Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13:8, “Love will last forever.” (NLT)
     When I was growing up love wasn’t expressed verbally in our home. My parents showed their love for me by the things they did for me. My dad took me hunting and fishing, he helped me build scooters and box cameras. My mother loved to bake raisin filled sugar cookies (my favorite) and we churned homemade ice cream. We went to baseball games, shot billiards, played cards, and other board games. There are many ways to express love that often go unnoticed.
     Everyone needs the assurance that God loves them. If you are tempted to ask, “Do you love me?” remember that God’s love never fails. Jesus himself assures us with the promise, “I will never leave you or forsake you.” (Heb. 13:5) He also said, “I will be with you until the end of the age.” (Mt. 28:20)

Prayer: Dear Lord, I know there is nothing I can do good that will cause you to love me more, or anything I do that is bad enough to cause you to love me less. God’s love never fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment