Friday, July 4, 2014

Dirty Hands


Scripture Reading: Exodus 30:17-21
Aaron and his sons will wash their hands and feet before they go into the tabernacle to appear before the Lord and before they approach the altar to burn offerings to the Lord. (Ex. 30:19)
I heard my mother say, “Robert, don’t forget to wash your hands before you come to the dinner table.” Does this sound familiar to any of you? How many times as a child did I come to the table only to be sent away to wash my dirty hands?
     When my four boys were growing up, my wife would often hold spur-of-the moment room inspections prior to the evening meal. Anyone whose room didn’t meet mom’s criteria was sent back down to clean it up before eating. This didn’t mean kicking the dirty socks and shirts under the bed just to give the room a neat appearance. It meant taking time to fold them and put them away where they belonged. If you knew how much my boys loved to eat, you know it didn’t take them long to get the message.
     When Moses was on Mt. Sinai getting instructions from the Lord, he received specific rules and regulations for Aaron and his sons to follow in order to minister in the tabernacle. They were given the blueprints to fashion a bronze wash basin to wash their hands and feet before entering God’s house. (Ex. 30:17-21)  They were not allowed in the tabernacle with dirty hands and feet.
     I have heard friends say to me, “I can’t go to church with you until I clean up my life.” What a feeble excuse! Once a person I was witnessing to said, “God can’t save me because I’ve been too bad and done too many sinful things.” Such individuals don’t realize they are prime candidates for God’s grace. If truth be told, you can’t do anything to clean up your act. God never accepts human efforts for salvation. We must come as we are with dirty hands and sinful hearts, acknowledging our utter helplessness, and allowing God to do the cleansing. (Titus 3:5)
     What thought pattern, habit, or sinful activity is causing you to feel you are too dirty to enter God’s presence? Using a pencil, make a list of several habits, thoughts, or actions that you know would not meet God’s approval. Ask God for his forgiveness for each one and erase them from your list. God cleanses through the precious blood of his Son, Jesus Christ.
     Prayer: Dear Lord, I am so thankful that you have never turned anyone away who has come to you and openly confessed their need of a Savior. As the word of God says, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” (Romans 10:13 NLT)
      

No comments:

Post a Comment