Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Abram's Name Changed

Abram’s Name Changed
“What’s more, I am changing your name. It will no longer be Abram; now you will be known as Abraham, for you will be the father of many nations.”             (Genesis 17:5 NLT)
What’s in a name?
In Ancient and Biblical times names and places were given special meanings. The sons of Jacob’s wives Leah and Rachel were given names that reflected their feelings toward their husband and each other.
   Down through the ages children have been given names for various reasons. The pioneers gave their children names such as charity, faith, hope, joy, grace, etc. because that’s what they hoped they would become. Other parents named their children after former family members, or famous people. My father was named Benjamin Franklin because of his father’s admiration for the inventor and statesman. There were many famous individuals down through history whose names were given to newborns because of their significance, achievements, power, and artistic, poetic, or military background. My two oldest boys were given the Biblical names of Michael Anthony and John Mark with the hope that they would follow in their footsteps. I know of a family who had twelve children and all their names began with a “K”. Although I am sometimes baffled and bewildered by the names I see in print, I’m sure that the parents had some personal reason for the names they chose to give to their children. 
   God in heaven had a divine purpose in his choice to change Abram’s name to Abraham. He had definite plans in mind for Abraham. “As for Me, behold, My covenant is with you, and you will be the father of a multitude of nations. No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I will make you the father of a multitude of nations, I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make nations of you and kings will come forth from you.” (Genesis 17:4-6 NASB)
   What is the reason behind your name?

Prayer: Dear Lord, the only name that I want to known by is “faithful!”

No comments:

Post a Comment