Monday, June 15, 2015

Eternal Life is Permanent

Eternal Life is Permanent
“I am the bread of life. He who comes to me shall never hunger, and he who believes in me shall never thirst.” (John 6:35)
Wow! Can you lay hold on that truth? “Never hunger!” “Never thirst!” What is Jesus saying? He’s saying, “It’s permanent!”
   Jesus is stressing the permanence of the saving transaction. This saving transaction was offered to the Samaritan woman at the well outside Sychar in the form of a “free drink of water.” Not physical water mind you, but spiritual water. The spiritual water that Jesus offered to the Samaritan woman was so long lasting that she’d  need only one drink.
   The woman thought Jesus was talking about physical water, but Jesus endeavored to change her thinking by saying, “People soon become thirsty again after drinking this water. But the water I give to them takes away thirst altogether. It becomes a perpetual spring within them, giving them eternal life.” (John 4:13-14 NLT) There it is again! “It’s permanent.”
   Not only do we see this concept in the story of the Samaritan woman, but we also see it in the interview that Jesus had with Nicodemus. In his nighttime conversation with Nicodemus, our Lord said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” (John 3:3) What does Jesus mean? Birth too, is a one-time event with permanent consequences. In fact, we have no way at all of reversing our own physical birth. My spiritual birth, like my physical one is irreversible.
   John repeats the concept of believing in Jesus to receive everlasting life over and over in his gospel. “All that the Father gives me will come to me, and the one who comes to me I will by no means cast out” (John 6:37). How does John put it, “By no means cast out!” Are you surprised to hear Jesus say it again—it’s permanent?
   What a precious promise this is for the person who is in need of assurance! Jesus says if eternal life is permanent then it is fully guaranteed. Wow! What a Savior!

Prayer: Dear Lord, thank you for the gift of eternal life to those who “believe.”

No comments:

Post a Comment