Thursday, July 21, 2011

Deadly Weapon

I said, "I will guard my ways that I may not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth as with a muzzle..."  Psalm 39:1 NASV


   One of the most potent members of the human body is the tongue.  James warns us by saying, "But no one can tame the tongue.  It is an uncontrollable evil, full of deadly poison." (James 3:8 NLT).

   We use bits to control horses and tiny rudders to turn ships, but we can't seem to muzzle the tongue.  The tongue can ruin a person's reputation, destroy family relationships, break up marriages, and turn away friends.  If left alone, it will eventually destroy the body to which it belongs.

   A good general rule for all of us to follow is to think carefully before speaking.  We should preview our words before saying them.  Are they caustic or gentle?  Will they build up or tear down?  We need to develop the art of listening, and offer encouraging words to the person in need.

Thought for the Day: God created the tongue to bring glory to His name.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment