Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Perplexing Question

"What do you want me to do for you."  (Luke 18:41)


  What the blind beggar alongside the road to Jericho heard the noise of the crowd he asked, "What is happening?"  "Jesus of Nazareth is coming," they said.  He began to shout, "Son of David have mercy on me!"  The crowd told him to be quiet, but he shouted even louder.  Surrounded by the crowd Jesus heard his cry.  He stopped and ordered them to bring him forward knowing that he was blind.  When they brought him forth Jesus asked him a very obvious question, "What do you want me to do for you?"  He responded, "I want to see!"

   As we approach a new year, Jesus stands ready to ask you and me the same question.  How would you respond?  Would you give a quick flippant answer, or would you spend time to ponder and mull over it for awhile?  Do you have the faith to ask God for something miraculous?  What would you REALLY want God to do for you?  Would his question cause you to refocus your priorities?  Would the question expose your shallow desires while at the same time reveal deeper ones?

   At this point, I don't know how I would answer that question.  I would need a lot of time to do some serious soul searching.  Take time to reflect and then ask God to give you the faith and courage to make the proper response.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment