Saturday, December 24, 2011

Remember the Good Old Days

When I was in deep trouble, I searched for the Lord.  All night long I prayed with hands lifted toward heaven, but my soul was not comforted.  I think of the good old days, long since ended.  (Ps. 77:2 NLT)


   Have you ever experienced times when the nighttime seemed endless?  Trouble, problems, and stress overwhelmed you.  You toss and turn, but sleep eludes you.  You cried out to the Lord and yearned for God's help, but no answer came.  You wondered, "Is God even listening?"


   The author of Psalm 77 experienced such a night and so have we.  How many of us have thought, "I'm too stressed out even to pray?"  The Psalmist felt as if the Lord had rejected him forever. (77:7)  I'm sure many of us have felt that way at times.  God seemed so far away and our efforts to connect with him seemed in vain.

   Then a "flashback" occurred in the Psalmists mind and he said, "I think of the good old days, long since ended, when my nights were filled with joyful songs."  (778:5,6)  At times, you may think your situation is hopeless, that the problems you face are bereft of solution, and see no end in sight.  When those times come, and they will, let your mind "flashback" to the countless answers to prayers in the past.  Remember that we worship the "God of miracles and wonders." (778:14).

   He will see you through your current situation.  Just turn to the Lord and "remember the good old days."
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment