Saturday, October 8, 2011

God's Observatory

The heavens tell the glory of God.  The skies display his marvelous craftmanship.  Day after day they continue to speak; night after night they make him known.  (Psalm 19:1,2 NLT).

   Have you ever looked at the heavens on a clear night and observed the brilliant twinkling of the stars?  What a beautiful sight!  The Big and Little Dipper and other constellations are clearly visible.  Somehow I always feel closer to God when I'm in his observatory.

   I remember the words of the Psalmist: "He counts the stars and calls them all by name" (Psalm 147:4 NLT).  How could this be?  The very awesomeness of the task overwhelms my mind.  Then I thought, If God knows all the names of the stars surely he know my name.  With this knowledge in mind, my prayers take on a new energy, a new urgency, and a new relationship.  I am drawn closer to my Father who is in heaven, and as I set aside time throughout each day to pause and lift up my heart to him, I am refreshed and renewed in spirit. 

When was the last time you spent time in God's observatory?  Take a trip out into the country at night and spend time observing the heavens.  How many stars can you count?  Isn't it awesome that the Bible says God calls them all by name?

Thought for the Day:  The heavens reveal the vastness of God and show his handiwork.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment