Thursday, August 23, 2012

Running Scared

He said, "I have been very zealous for the Lord, the God of hosts; for the sons of Israel have forsaken your covenant, torn down your altars and killed your prophets with the sword.  And I alone am left, and they seek my life, to take it away."  (1 Kings 19:10 NASB)

   I ran for my life down the hill into a small grove of pine trees.  Alone and scared, I crawled under the low hanging branches and waited breathlessly.  Would the neighborhood kids find me and beat me up again?  It seemed like an eternity passed before I found the courage to emerge and find my way home to safety.

   This must have been how the prophet Elijah felt when he ran in fear from the threat of Jezebel on his life.  He thought that he alone was left of the prophets, but God said, "I have 7,000 in Israel, all the knees that have not bowed to Baal and every mouth that has not kissed him" (1 Kings 19:18 NASB).  

   If you are facing difficult circumstances today, turn to the Lord for courage and strength to continue on.  He will be just as faithful in providing your needs as he was Elijah.  God is your refuge and strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment