Monday, August 15, 2011

Damaged Goods

But Peter said, Man, I don't know what you are talking about."  And as soon as he said these words, the rooster crowed.  At that moment the Lord turned and looked at Peter.  Then Peter remembered that the Lord had said, Before the rooster crows tomorrow morning , you will deny me three times.  And Peter left the courtyard, crying bitterly. (Luke 22:60-61 NLT)

   Peter blew it.  What he least expected to happen had happened.  He denied his master and Lord.  Now his life was in a shambles.  He ran out of the courtyard devastated and defeated.  What use would his life be now to the Lord?  He was damaged goods.  Would he be cast aside, forgotten, and thrown into the trash heap of uselessness?

   After the resurrection, the Lord sought out Peter personally to offer forgiveness and restoration.  At a breakfast gathering with the disciples Jesus turned to Peter and said, Simon son of John, do you love me more than these/" "Yes, Lord," Peter replied, "you know I love you."  "Then feed my lambs,"  Jesus told him.  (John 21:15)  Why did this conversation take place between the Lord and Peter?  I believe the Lord wanted to assure Peter that he was not damaged goods.  In effect, Jesus was saying to Peter, your failure has not changed anything between us.  You're still part of my family.


   You and I may be considered damaged goods before the world and in our own eyes, but not to the Lord.  Just as he did with Peter, he says to you and me, Feed my lambs.


Thought for the Day: God stands ready to restore and forgive all who come to him in humble repentance and faith.






   


   

No comments:

Post a Comment