Friday, August 12, 2011

Overcoming Fear

So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.  (Matthew 10:31 NASV)


   Outside our living room window are two Hummingbird feeders.  During the spring and summer four or five Hummingbirds come to the feeders.  They are fascinating creatures to watch.  I noticed one in particular that seemed to be a bully.  He would dart at the others, and they would dash away in fear.  He would sit in the branches of a nearby tree, and as soon as the others appeared he would chase them away.

   This reminded me of my early childhood days.  In my neighborhood there were some boys who ran together in a group.  One of the larger boys was what I would describe as the bully of the group.  They made my life miserable.  I feared what they might do to me so I ran away and hid.

   Since then I have learned to trust the Lord for my protection.  When I get into fearful situations, I turn to the words of David in Psalm 27:1, "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the defense of my life; whom shall I dread?"  Why should I be afraid when I have Jesus as Savior and Lord of my life?

   God is your protector.  He is willing and able to fight your battles for you.  All you have to do is take every burden and every fear and give it to the Lord.  Peter said, "Cast all your care upon him, for he careth for you."  1 Peter 5:7). 


Thought for the Day: Trusting in the Lord casts out fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment