Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Daisy Petal Game

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be walled the children of God.  And that is what we are!  (1 John 3:1 NIV)


   When we were kids my sister and I played the Daisy Petal game.  It was a romantic fantasy.  We'd pick a daisy and pick off the petals, one by one saying, "She loves me, she loves me not" until all the petals were gone.  If the game didn't end on a positive note, we'd pick another daisy and start all over again.

   Did you know that believers play the same game with God?  We pull off the petals of our circumstances to try and determine if God really loves us on a moment by moment basis.  Here's how it works:

   I just got a promotion -- he loves me.  I lost my temper with my neighbor -- he loves me not.  On and on it goes with uncertainty growing by the minute.  I'm afraid many Christians have played this game most of their lives wondering how God felt about them personally.

   God's love is not a hit and miss proposition.  He loves us all the time unconditionally without demanding anything in return.  If you don't believe me just go to John 3:36 and I John 3:1-4.

No comments:

Post a Comment