Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Moments of Regret

And as he went, David cried, "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!  If only I had died instead of you! O Absalom my son, my son."  (2 Samuel 18:33b NLT)


   Have you ever played the "if only.. what if....should have... could have" game?

       If only I had shown more love to my kids.
       If only I could go back and do it all over again.
       What if I had learned a different trade?
        What if I hadn't taken that first drink?  Regrets, hindsight, do over, should haves and could haves can plague us for years.

   I'm sure David spent many sleepless nights soaking his bed with tears over the "if onlys and what ifs in his life.  I can hear him saying, "If only I hadn't taken that first look," and "what if I had gone to battle with the army," or "what if I had spent more time with my son, Absalom?"  David was a great King, but a lousy father.

   We can waste a lot of energy focusing on our regrets,  The problem is --- nothing is solved by such meanderings.  Are you running the race of life in such a way as to gain the victory and receive the reward?  Let's lay aside the weight of all the "if onlys" -- "what ifs" and run the race with faith and vigor.  Take a lesson from the Apostle Paul and put aside the regrets.  They serve no valuable purpose and only weigh us down and hinder the race.  

 




   

     


   

No comments:

Post a Comment