Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Bread of Life

Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to me will not hunger, and he who believes in me will never thirst."  (John 6:35 NASV)

   During the Exodus the children of Israel grumbled to Moses, "Would that we had died by the hand of the Lord in Egypt, when we sat by the pots of meat, when we ate bread to the full; for you have brought us out into this wilderness to kill this whole assembly with hunger." (Exodus 16:2-3 NASV).

   Moses prayed and God provided bread called manna.

   In the gospel of John we find thousands of people following Jesus and listening to his teaching.  When it was late in the day, Jesus said to Philip, "Where are we to buy bread, so that these may eat?"  Hearing this, Andrew brought a lad with five barley loeaves and two small fish to Jesus.  Jesus prayed and his Heavenly Father multiplied the food to feed them all, plus twelve baskets of leftovers.  (John 6:5-13).

   These two Scriptural accounts teach me two things: (1) That God is the supplier of all my needs, and (2) that physical bread alone is not enough to sustain my life. 

   My stomach puts forth hunger pains saying, feed me, but my soul cries out for spiritual nourishment.  Where can I go to get the spiritual food needed to sustain me?  It can be found only through the Word of God.  Unless I daily search the Scriptures, my soul will shrivel and die.  

   Where do you go for nourishment -- to the refrigerator or the Word of God? 

Thought for the Day: God is the manufacturer; we are the distributors.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment