Saturday, May 14, 2011

Canine Loyalty

Then Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself.  (1 Samuel 18:3)

   Loyalty is fast becoming a vanishing virtue.  People in Montgomery, Pennsylvania , where I grew up, treated each other with respect and dignity.  Neighbors talked to one another over the backyard fence, and when a need arose everyone pitched in to help.  Loyalty was once something we could count on, but nowadays it has given way to self-interest.  Everywhere you look loyalty seems to be dying.  People aren't loyal to their spouses, companies aren't loyal to their employees, and employees aren't loyal to their companies.  What are the roots of loyalty?  My first lessons about loyalty came from Captain Midnight. 

   Captain Midnight was the name we gave to our full blooded Cocker Spaniel.  He had a beautiful black coat of curly hair, and a family friendly disposition.  Our family dog showed his loyalty and devotion to my mom and dad on two separate occasions.

   When my mother got sick and had to be confined to her bedroom, Captain Midnight laid down beside her bed and refused to move or be moved.  The second occasion took place when my father and I went fishing.  We got caught in a thunder storm down by the river.  Dad slipped on the muddy bank and reached up to grab a tree limb for support and dislocated his shoulder.  We walked several miles, he in great pain before reaching home.  When the doctor arrived he found Captain Midnight on guard at my father's side.  Both of these incidents instilled within me a desire to show loyalty to friends and family. 

   Recently a friend came to me and said, "Bob, I want to thank you for sticking with me when I was going through some tough stuff.  Your loyalty meant a lot to me."  Can you imagine how his statement encouraged me and bolstered my confidence? 

   Loyalty may be a disappearing virtue, but don't despair, there are still a few of us who are holding on tight to this principle.  You too have a loyal friend, one that sticks closer than a brother -- Jesus Christ. 

Thought for the Day: Loyalty is virtue worth pursuing. 

  

  

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment