Thursday, June 23, 2011

Cozy by the Fire

The guards lit a fire in the courtyard and sat around it, and Peter joined them there.  (Luke 22:55 NLT)


   Peter always seemed to say the wrong thing and be at the wrong place.  On the mountaintop he wanted to build three tabernacles -- one each for Jesus, Moses,  and Elijah.  God spoke and put a stop to that idea.  God said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased, listen to him (Matthew 17:5).  In the courtyard by the fire, Peter denied knowing Jesus -- even with a curse.

   I can remember times when I reacted much like Peter.  Speaking and acting impetuously.  Sometimes harsh words flowed from my lips -- hurtful words, bitter accusations, falsehoods, and openly rebellious words.

   Jesus modeled the example he wants you and me to follow.  He showed love and compassion to a woman caught in the act of adultery.  After the Pharisees had left, Jesus straightened up and said, "Woman, where are your accusers?  Did no one accuse you?"  She said, "No one, Lord."  And Jesus said, "I do not condemn you, either.  Go.  From now on sin no more" (John 8:10-11).

   This speaks volumes to me.  How I need to allow the love of Christ to control my words and actions

   Paul tells us to "take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ."  Don't get too cozy by the fire, danger lurks there!  Just ask Peter.

Thought for the Day: We are the only Bible that some people will ever see.

No comments:

Post a Comment