Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Heavenly Silence

O Lord, you are my rock of safety.  Please help me; don't refuse to answer me.  For if you are silent, I might as well give up and die.  (Psalm 28:1 NLT)


   There is an ancient proverb that says, Silence is golden, meaning saying nothing is preferable to speaking."  I know my mother spoke those words to me when I was a youngster, and I'm sure I spoke them to my children.

   Have you ever felt as if God were saying to you, silence is golden?  How many times have you bombarded heaven with loud cries for help and found your prayers bouncing back as if the walls and ceiling were ten feet thick?  Certainly David felt this way as he cried out to God in Psalm 28.  No answer came to his cries.  He was left with only his faith to sustain him.

   I wonder what the saints and angels in heaven thought "when the lamb broke the seventh seal, and there was silence throughout heaven for about half an hour."  (Revelation 8:1)

   Can you begin to imagine silence in heaven?  I can'ts.  Total silence is unthinkable!  No angel choir singing, worthy is the lamb."  No "Holy, Holy, Holy" is heard from the four living creatures.  No worship from the twenty-four elders.  TOTAL SILENCE!

   Why did God do this?  Why the silence?  May I suggest that God quieted heaven so that he could concentrate upon hearing what you and I have to say.  He doesn't want to miss a single word of our prayers and praise.  Keep on praying and praising the Lord.  Never stop!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment