Thursday, November 3, 2011

Promises Made and Kept

For what does the Scripture say?  Abraham believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness... and being fully assured that what God has promised, He was able also to perform.  (Romans 4:3 and 21 NASB)


   Have you ever had a promise made to you and then broken?  Was that a "yes" answer?  I'm sure this has happened to most of us.  Now for the tough love question:  Have you ever made a promise to someone else and failed to keep it?  Was that a weak "yes" that I heard?  I have to confess that I am guilty as charged.  Fortunately, I was able to make amends and the relationship was not severed, but that isn't always the case.

   Promises should not be made hastily or without full intent to keep them.  God has a way of testing our resolve. He tested Abraham's faith in his promise by time ( he had to wait 13 years), by obedience (take your only son Isaac whom you love and offer him on Mt. Moriah as a sacrifice to Me, and by love (whom do you love the most).

   Keeping the promises we make are a signature of our character before God.  Let me encourage you to be a promise keeper! 

No comments:

Post a Comment