Thursday, January 12, 2012

Calamity Lurks

I came naked from my mother's womb, and I will be naked when I leave.  The Lord gave me what I had, and the Lord has taken it away.  Praise the name of the Lord!  In all of this, Job did not sin by blaming God.  (Job 1:21-22 NLT)


   How could Job make such a praiseworthy statement in lieu of the devastating calamity that struck his family.  How would I have responded?

   If anyone had the right to question God's love and sovereignty, it would have been Job.  He could have lifted his fist toward heaven and accused God of being unfair.  Or he could have hurled blasphemous names at God.  Take note, that he did neither of those things.  Something within Job's heart enabled him to keep a proper perspective of God.  Rather than assigning blame -- he worshiped.

   When Job-like trials come, and the rug of comfort is pulled out from under us, and the foundation of our faith is tested how will we respond?  Trials prove the genuineness of our faith.  We will either choose to stubbornly cling to the promises of God, or we will play the blame game and fall into the pit of bitterness and despair.

   Let each of us choose the path of faith and say along with Joshua, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."  (Josh 24:15)

No comments:

Post a Comment