Thursday, January 19, 2012

Majesty of the Mountains

It was at this time that He went off to the mountain to pray, and He spent the whole night in prayer to God. (Luke 6:12)


   Jesus showed his love for the mountains as he often went there to rest and pray.  On one occasion, prior to selecting his twelve disciples, he spent all night in prayer with his Heavenly Father.  Together they decided who would make up the special group of twelve.

   Nothing draws me closer to the Creator than the majesty of the Rockies.  Hiking and exploring mountain trails provides time to reflect upon God's creative splendor.  Casting a line into the cool clear waters of Blue Mesa Reservoir gave me a sense serenity and peace.

   Each week after preparing my Sunday School lesson I would go over to the West Elk Loop mountain across from our house and sit on a stump to practice teaching the lesson to anyone or anything that would listen.  I don't know if any of the animals every got saved, but I do know they heard the Scriptures being taught.  The forest was my pulpit and the wildlife was my audience.

   If that sounds weird, then Jesus must have been weird, because he taught while sitting on mountain sides, out of boats, walking along roads, beside wells, and in other out of the way places.

   Whenever I face a problem, the mountains provide a place to walk and talk with the Lord.  It's amazing how the pure air of the mountains can help clear the mind and bring things into proper focus.  If you are facing difficult problems, try going to the mountains, maybe even a desert will do.  Find a quiet place to sit down, talk to God, and listen to his voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment