Monday, January 9, 2012

Loving Discipline

From among all the families on the earth, I chose you alone.  That is why I must punish you for all your sins.  (Amos 3:2)


   You don't love me anymore, that's why you are punishing me.  Don't love you anymore?  Surely son, you must be joking.  Then the well known statement that defies logic spilled from my lips, "This is going to hurt me more than it does you."  I don't believe there's ever been a child that understood those words.  They defy all logic.  

   God used the prophets to warn Israel of their sins, but it was to no avail.  "My people have forgotten what it means to do right," say the Lord.  "Their fortresses are filled with wealth taken by theft and violence." (Amos 3:10).  No wonder punishment was coming.

   Are you suffering because of God's disciplinary actions?  Listen to Solomon's message of love, "My child don't ignore it when the Lord disciplines you, and don't be discouraged when he corrects you.  For the Lord corrects those he loves, just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights" (Proverbs 3:11-12).

   Write down three ways God has dealt with you in recent years.  What did you learn through those experiences?  Thank him for his loving ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment