Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Memories of the Good Old Days

I recall the good old days; I meditate on all you have done; I reflect on your accomplishments.  (Psalm 143:5)


   Several senior citizens were sitting in the food court at the mall reminiscing about the good old days.  One senior said, "Remember the old crank up phones, wringer washers, wood burning stoves, and ice boxes"?

   Another said, "Yes, and we didn't have cell phones, text messaging, or palm pilots, and everyone had two hands on the steering wheel."  Everyone laughed!  A group of teenagers listening nearby said to one another, "Where are they from -- outer space?"

   David and other psalmists were given to meditation and reminiscing.  Over and over again we hear them saying, "I remember" (Ps. 42:4;63:6;77:10;119:52;143:5).  Like the seniors, David may have been thinking of his childhood days as an obscure shepherd boy.  Perhaps the lion and bear episodes filled his memory, or his bout with the giant Goliath.

   Memories of God's faithfulness are a source of infinite strength.  I plan to hang on to my memories and praise God daily for bringing me out of the horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and setting my feet on the rock. (Psalm 40:2)

How about you?  Do you have good memories of God's saving grace?

No comments:

Post a Comment