Friday, January 27, 2012

Midnight Tragedy

You do not know about tomorrow.  What is your life like?  For you are a puff of smoke that appears for a short time and than vanishes.  (James 4:14)


   I woke with a start.  Was I dreaming or did I hear a scream?  Then I heard it again and raced upstairs to find my mother stretched across my father crying hysterically.  It seems my father had gotten up to open the heat register, and when he got back into bed a blood clot in his leg had moved to his heart.  Nothing could be done to save him.  My father was dead.

   After the funeral when things settled down, I began to contemplate what had taken place.  I turned to the bible for answers to my many questions.  I discovered we have no guarantee of a tomorrow let alone today.  Life is uncertain, and I needed to take advantage of each moment.  I felt the fear and loss of hope that the disciples of Jesus experienced.

   When life's storms and trials come your way, and they will, how will you deal with them?  Will you turn to Jesus for answers to your questions?  Will you cling to him as your only hope.  I felt assurance through the words of the famous hymn -- The Solid Rock -- "My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness."

No comments:

Post a Comment