Monday, January 30, 2012

Mind the Gap

Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips. (Psalm 141:3 NASB)


  When my wife and I visited London, England, we face many new challenges.  Getting used to driving on the wrong side of the road, navigating the "tube" (subway to us Americans), getting through the roundabouts.  When getting off the "tube" we heard the loudspeaker say, mind the gap  Now what does that mean?  I was pretty sure they weren't referring to a clothing store.  An Englishman explained that "the gap" was the space between the train and the platform.  Signs were confusing until we learned their meaning.

   The Bible contains many similar warning signs, and some can be confusing.  There is no confusion with David's warning sign in Psalm 141:3 where he said, Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips.  That's a warning worthy of my attention.  All of us need a guard to keep our lips from speaking words that cause destruction of unity among the brethren, and hurt the cause of Christ with the unsaved world.

Prayer: Dear Lord.  Help me today to say only those things that will bring honor and glory to your name, and help advance the kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment