Monday, January 23, 2012

The Right Kind of Manure Promotes Growth

Like newborn babies, you must crave pure spiritual milk so that you will grow into a full experience of salvation.  Cry out for this nourishment, now that you have had a taste of the Lord's kindness.  (1 Peter 2:2-3 NLT)


   During the 80s I taught in an elementary school outside the small town of Berger, Missouri.  Across the road from the school was a chicken processing plant.  When the wind blew from a southernly direction, we had no difficulty identifying the source of the smell.  I asked and received permission to get a pick-up load of chicken manure for my garden.  I spread the fertilizer over my garden and planted tomatoes, onion, and beans.  You wouldn't believe the size of those tomato plants.  I used seven foot stakes to keep them from falling over.  I found out that chicken manure was one of the hottest types of fertilizer.  However, there was one problem; I had huge plants, but very little fruit.

   This reminds me of Christian growth.  In order to grow spiritually healthy lives that produce good fruit, we need the right kind of spiritual food.  Too much of the wrong kind will provide a lot of fluff, but very little fruit. God is looking for consistent steady growth, not a flash in the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment